UC Policy on Eligibility to Submit Proposals
(Office of the President, Contract and Grant Manual, 1-530, January 1, 1996)
Academic appointees in the following title groups are eligible to submit proposals for research or training contracts or grants, subject to conditions, restrictions, and review procedures which may be established by a Chancellor, the Vice President—Agriculture and Natural Resources, or the Dean of University Extension after he or she has obtained advice from the appropriate committees of the Academic Senate. Such conditions, restrictions, and review procedures shall include considerations of educational policy and academic, fiscal, and physical planning. Furthermore, a Chancellor may restrict the privilege to submit proposals, by personnel not members of the Academic Senate and not appointees in the Agronomist series, to those individuals for whom special justification has been established. Those who submit proposals should be encouraged to plan the projects to be educationally and financially helpful to students whenever possible. Projects which interfere with the regular instructional and research responsibilities of the University shall not be accepted.
- Members of the Academic Senate, including emeriti.
- Appointees in the Agronomist series, including emeriti.
- Appointees at 50 percent or more of full time in the Adjunct Professor series.
- Appointees at 50 percent or more of full time in the Clinical Professor series.
- Appointees at 50 percent or more of full time in the Professional Research series.
- Appointees at 50 percent or more of full time in the Cooperative Extension Specialist series.
Upon receipt of the approval of the appropriate officer (Chancellor, or Vice President—Agriculture and Natural Resources, Dean of University Extension), a person holding appointment in one of the following title groups may submit a proposal for a training or training-related research contract or grant:
- Supervisor of Physical Education series.
- Cooperative Extension Advisor series.
- University Extension Specialist series.
Eligibility to submit proposals to UC MEXUS under the Calls announced on this website is limited to those who meet the above requirements, and additional local restrictions imposed by a Chancellor, the Vice President—Agriculture and Natural Resources, or the Dean of University Extension, without exception. For Dissertation Grants, the research professor/faculty advisor of the applicant student must meet these requirements.